Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Question about China's educational system


I recently did a story comparing 3rd grade math problems in the U.S. and in China.  The thing is, I was doing complex multiplication when I left China in the 3rd grade, and arrived in a 3rd classroom in the U.S. in the middle of learning addition, still.  I've been also frustrated with lack of time with my 7th grade cousin, Taylor (her English name this year, she went by Kelly in previous years).  She wakes up around 5am, gets to school by 6:30am, comes home around 6 or 7, eats for 2 minutes, then does homework until she falls asleep.  Then, repeat.  And during holidays and weekends, her teachers assign her EXTRA homework, so kids "don't waste their time."

There's no question that kids in China learn hell of a lot more theories, vocab, and just overall knowledge than in the U.S.  Suicide rates among school children are always high, and the main cause?  Pressure from school.  Also, getting into a decent college in China may be harder than getting a cow to reproduce with a fish.  Seriously.  The acceptance rate at Peking University and Xsinghua University are lower that that of Harvard.

BUT, I wonder...why have Chinese universities never placed in the Top 10, but American schools always dominate world rankings.  For example, my aunt recently showed me an article that had my alma mater (Berkeley) ranked as #5 in the world and Xsinghua ranked at 35.

If the educational system in China is SO strict and SO advanced, why can't it be recognized more positively in the world?  Where's the glitch?  Or is there a general discrimination against Chinese universities in the world rankings - a flaw that comes with negative consensus about China's education?

No comments: