Friday, March 23, 2012

Love in all languages

I had the most interesting dinner tonight with my co-worker and his friends.  I basically was the 5th wheel but I didn't mind.  On my left sat an American-born Chinese with his Chinese-born Canadian girlfriend of 7 months.  And on my right sat a Chinese-fluent African American girl with her all-Chinese boyfriend of 1.5 years.  I was in awe.  The couple on my left communicated in mostly Chinglish, and the couple on my right communicated in all Chinese.

It occurred to me that love really transcends all languages.  More specifically...chemistry is chemistry.  I never fully realized this until coming to China.  'Cause in America, you get spoiled expecting EVERYONE to speak English.  Right?  But in China, sometimes your only common language may be a sprinkle of Chinese.  My other co-worker (a blonde girl from the States) told me about a Korean guy she used to date who didn't speak a lick of English.  Their only mode of communication was broken Chinese.

So in the end, fate is fate, love is love, regardless of culture, religion, ethnicity, or language.

No comments: